Skip to main content

Iceman Reviews 5-6 (sorta)

So I finally read Iceman 5 and 6.. and I rolled my eyes a bunch and was just generally annoyed with everything in both issues. The whole series thus far has been a train wreck and I finally figured out why I was hating it so much..

The Iceman comic is a canned with dialogue seemingly swiped word for word from various sources coming out book. Iceman as a superhero, his history, and everything else is just window dressing and to cover up that this is just a really stereotypical coming out book. It has all the tried and true staples that play out exactly as you'd expect.

For those of you that haven't read a coming out novel, here is how they go: Guy struggles with and comes out to friend(s), guy comes out to family or society and is  initially rejected by one or both and eventually someone who rejected him (either family member or a member of the society) will magically love and respect him for no real reason, and guy meets perfect boyfriend who will be the perfect absolute amazing guy that will love him forever. This is Iceman. And it's just dull. I read a ton of these books when I was studying Young Adult literature and they're just so bad. They're bad not just because they're often not well written (as Iceman is not.. with tons of cliches and canned dialogue), but because they create this fantasy drama of coming out that eventually everything turns out OK. And that's not how it always works out and you certainly won't always meet the perfect romance right after coming out (in fact, most people don't because they don't really know who they are yet). It also sets the expectation that you come out once and then you're done.. and that's not how it works at all. But really the biggest issue ultimately with these books? They're dull and predictable and after you've read one, you've pretty much read them all. That's not to say that some writers have done some different and interesting things with them (there are a few), but most of them... they're pretty standard drama fare.. and Iceman does nothing new or different, adds nothing to the dialogue even with the fact that Bobby Drake is a 30 something mutant when all this is happening. It's just.. meh.

So.. ultimately this is a typical coming out story so it's probably great for an LGBTQ kid who wants to come out or in a situation where coming out is bad. It may give them strength and courage and deal with some of their issues and that's great.. but it may also give them completely unrealistic views of how things work too and that may not be helpful. I can't really recommend this book, but I hope it does something for someone, but it's clearly not written for me or well most comic book and X-Men fans. It's written for a really small audience..

If you want better LGBTQ comics, there is a whole list of recommendations for Pride Month broken down by various LGBTQ groups as different people in the mix may want different things. Check those out. But for gay teen, I'd have wished I had Midnighter and Backstagers when I was that age..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comic books and age limits

Greetings, I have not posted anything in forever and for that I am very, very sorry. I just haven't had much to talk about.. but since this came up and it's bothering me, here we go. Comic books (particularly superhero comics) and age ranges/limits - Recently a fellow librarian asked for help on suggestions for tween comics. I named a few more recent ones that are for a kid/tween/teen demographic and then explained that most older comics would also be appropriate for this age group. At this age, I was reading New Teen Titans and Uncanny X-men for instance without any issues. I specifically stated that comics, particularly superhero comics, have largely been "all ages" for most of their history. This angered the librarian who I made the recommendations too. This librarian told me they specifically wanted TWEEN books because it was helpful for parents, tweens, and librarians and they needed to be TWEEN. Also that older books were too dated and the color and art wasn...

Wonder Woman movie recommendations

As you all know (or should know.. if you don't you will now), the Wonder Woman movie is hitting theaters June 2nd (or maybe June 1st depending on where you live). Either way, it's coming soon. DC has also officially announced that June 3rd is Wonder Woman day! Participating comic book stores will be giving out free Wonder Woman comics and cardboard tiaras and bracelets. The Wonder Woman merchandise and advertisements are all blitzing big now and while it may be difficult to get some new items right now in time for Wonder Woman, here are some Wonder Woman comics and books about Wonder Woman I recommend. Legend of Wonder Woman Etta Candy tries to find the perfect outfit for Wonder Woman Legends of Wonder Woman  by Renae de Liz and Ray Dillon. This is a perfect all ages origin book for Wonder Woman. Starts off with her as a child on Themyscira and follows her all the way through her becoming Wonder Woman in World War II. It's a really beautifully drawn book and the story...

How Superhero comics teach information literacy Part 2

So we've talked about how superhero comes walk you through the process of recognizing citations and citing your sources and how the Easter eggs and references cause the reader to do research, now we're going to talk about a subject everyone knows and confronts regularly in research.. bias. Comics, like most storytelling mediums, have a built in way to show bias. Some of this is from the obvious storytelling tricks of showing different perspectives. Comics like  Marvels  or Astro City  do this rather well, taking the reader out of the typical head space of the superhero and into the world around them, those who look up and see the superheroes in their world and how that impacts them. These, however, are more subtle ways that the comics confront, show, and reveal the concept of bias to readers. The most obvious tools that comics have are characters that are implicitly and strongly biased. For instance, Marvel has the infamous J. Jonah Jameson, who has a one man war agai...