Skip to main content

Comic books and age limits

Greetings, I have not posted anything in forever and for that I am very, very sorry. I just haven't had much to talk about.. but since this came up and it's bothering me, here we go.

Comic books (particularly superhero comics) and age ranges/limits -
Recently a fellow librarian asked for help on suggestions for tween comics. I named a few more recent ones that are for a kid/tween/teen demographic and then explained that most older comics would also be appropriate for this age group. At this age, I was reading New Teen Titans and Uncanny X-men for instance without any issues. I specifically stated that comics, particularly superhero comics, have largely been "all ages" for most of their history.

This angered the librarian who I made the recommendations too. This librarian told me they specifically wanted TWEEN books because it was helpful for parents, tweens, and librarians and they needed to be TWEEN. Also that older books were too dated and the color and art wasn't attractive to their tweens.

OK. Fine. The problem? There is no such thing as tween comics. There are no comics (or books for that matter) that are solely for tweens and fit nicely into the tween demographic. I mean, yes there are books and comics that may cater to tweens and be appropriate for tweens, but they're not ONLY for tweens. This thinking is extremely wrong and alarming to me as a librarian. Sure the label may calm parents and be much easier to just slam down for a parent than actually educating them, but age ranges (especially such limiting ones as tween and what is still a relatively new demographic in the history of the world) are ultimately as harmful as Lexile numbers or any other arbitrary rating system we slam onto reading materials to gatekeep and limit all in the quick desire to not actually pay attention. I mean, how many kids are we going to scare away from READING by gatekeeping and telling them "No, you can't have that because it's not appropriate for you even though you actually want to read it." That's not the way to encourage reading at all. Librarians should KNOW this. Don't do that. At all. It's bad. it's harmful and you create reluctant and non-readers by forcing them to read only in "this" group. Let them read what they're interested in reading. You discourage readers at that age, below that age, and above that age.

Now onto the nitty gritty. Comics come in 2 basic age ranges. All ages and mature. That's it. More recently they've started a "teen" line, but that again leads more mature readers. Now Marvel and DC are trying imprints and various comic creators have targeted all sorts of age groups for various reasons, but ultimately it's all ages or mature readers. That's probably all there should be. All ages means anything from kid comics (like Veggie tales or Teletubbies of comics) to comics that can literally be enjoyed for adults and kids (like Disney movies), mature readers is more R and above rated comics. If a reader is capable of reading and handling a mature comic, then why should a librarian stop them? For me in 8th or 9th grade, I had picked up Purgatori by Chaos! Comics. It was about a lesbian vampire and had nudity and sex. I could and did handle it fine at that age. I was more interested in the story than anything else, but if I had had gatekeepers like above librarian, I wouldn't have read it and I definitely would have been turned off from reading again.

So that leads into the other thing, which I think I've talked about before. We all know that boys are the biggest reluctant reader demographic. There are numerous things and attempts to get boys into reading especially at a young age. Historically superhero comics have helped act as a gateway for reluctant readers especially boys. Adding pictures with the words helps. It also helps with readers that have problems with paying attention or reading in general. Almost every male comic fan I've spoken to who has stated that they were a reluctant reader as a kid became an avid reader BECAUSE of comics. Some still mostly just read comics, some read EVERYTHING now. That's huge. I'm sure similar has happened with female comic fans, but I haven't spoken to many who have stated they were reluctant readers (most I've known were already avid readers before adding comics). So yeah that's completely anecdotal and not remotely scientific, but still.. why roadblock readers? Why set age limits? Because it's easier to explain to parents?

Sorry, but that's being lazy. Don't expect comics, books, or anyone else to have prepackaged label slapped onto the book for you that says "FOR TWEENS" or "FOR KIDS". Some might do that and that's great, but comics have typically shied away from this because it ultimately excludes readers ("For kids" at Marvel and DC have typically fizzed.. just google Johnny DC or Star Comics for examples, heck Marvel has had such a problem they've handed off their all ages books to IDW so Spider-Man and Star Wars for all ages will be printed by IDW!).

Anyhow.. any questions about this?  Please let me know. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Superhero Comics Teach Information Literacy Part 1

OK. I had this idea and submitted it to be published in a book about comics and information literacy and the rejected it. Sad face. I know I could type this out and send it to be officially published and maybe one day I'll take the ideas here and reuse them for an article, but.. that's a long process and I think this is too important to lock up for long periods of time and potentially a paywall. So I'm going to do a series of posts about how superhero comics inherently teach information literacy and how you as a librarian can tap into that and use that to advocate for comics or even help people understand information literacy. No clue how many posts there will be if I'm honest.. but here's the first. Early example of a Marvel Citation If you've ever read a lot of Marvel/DC Superhero comics especially from the 60's, 70's and 80's, you will have noticed these little boxes with editors notes in them. These small notes often told readers when

Transformers More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise

I know I've recommended these books before, but I've been re-reading Robots in Disguise  (which becomes just Transformers  later) and reading for the first time most of More than Meets the Eye  (which becomes Transformers: Lost Light) and I have to say.. wow. These books are just so beautifully done. I've talked before about the right and wrong ways to do politics in a book. These books? They get it right. How do they do it? Well here's the thing.. both of these books take place after the war between the Autobots and Decepticons is finally over. It's done. Time to move on and build a new world. In Robots in Disguise , we follow the adventures of all the Transformers, Autobots, Decepticons and Non-Aligned Indigenous Life Forms (or NAILs) all trying to make a new life on Cybertron. There is animosity between all 3 groups Autobots and Decepticons obviously still hate each other from the 4 million year war and NAILs feel like the war destroyed their planet and th

Pride Month Recommendations Part 1 Gay/bisexual male

I feel like I'm running behind on a lot of stuff right now, so there will probably be a few posts this week to make up for it. Sorry about that,. So June is typically considered Pride Month in the US, though local areas may have their own pride at different times. I'm going to start doing a series of posts on LGBTQIA comics that I recommend, but I'm going to do this a little differently. My idea is to break it down into parts, the first focusing on gay and bi men, then lesbians and bi women, then trans*, queer, intersex and asexual, then  finally circle back and focus on books that do a bit of all of them well (namely team books). I want to do it this way for a couple of reasons. First, while LGBTQIA is a community for various reasons, each individual group has it's own wants/needs/desires, so a book with a lesbian lead may not speak to an asexual teen as well as another book. The second reasons is to highlight some of the areas where comics as a medium are lacking ov