Skip to main content

Some helpful general comic information sites

Sometime soon I'll be doing Halloween/Horror recommendations, I promise.. but I'd recently promised to do some helpful sites that might be useful so.. here we go.

Comic Book Database - I mentioned this before, but the Comic Book Database allows you to search for character, creator, comic name, series name, title of comic, and a whole host of other things to find more information. It can be sparse at times or it can have information overload. This is great though if you're looking for every appearance of a character, if a comic is reprinted and where it's reprinted, follow a creator's full works, and a bunch of other stuff.

Grand Comics Database - pretty similar to the one above, but a different interface and they sometimes disagree on things. Both give you a great look at over all comics and can give you tons of information. For personal use, I tend to gravitate towards the Comic Book Database, but that's just my personal choice. Both are great and have a wealth of information, it just really depends on which you like better.

ComicVine - ComicVine tries to do a little bit of what the above two do with a different interface. However, it focuses a little bit more on character/team histories of the comics as well has some news and reviews. If you want to know the history of a character or see if they've appeared in comics, ComcVine is a great option. They also have an extensive image gallery, but be careful with that as some pictures especially of female characters might push the boundaries of Safe for Work. The other thing is don't use ComicVine for research on characters powers/abilities as they have a site wide system that they force every character into, so sometimes it's not exactly accurate from being so generic.

Atomic Avenue and My Comic Shop - both of these are there to sell comics, but they have some pretty extensive cataloging on the back end that sometimes gives you really good/important information. Both typically list all comics available in a trade for instance and My Comic Shop has a synopsis on a lot of single issues including creative team. Super helpful at times. I often use both of these sites to find the last issue in a series or information like that since they're much quicker and easier to search than the databases for me (and they only search for series name, not also character name, so that helps). Really though, they have some nice tools that I know I use regularly.

Wikipedia - Also DC wikia  and Marvel Wikia there is also one for Public Domain superheroes (PDSH wikia)  These are pretty definitive guides on characters, powers, and creators in general. There is a lot of research information here. Wikipedia can also be a great resource about trades and what issues are in trade, what is currently available, and more. So don't be afraid to use them for this information. Now they may not have everything and they may be missing information on some lesser known characters (and I'm talking super obscure cause they have full wiki entries on Lady Stilt-Man, Prince Ra-Man, and Yellow Peri), but over all they're really good. These are one of the reasons I say don't waste money on the DK Publishing or Encyclopedia style books because.. these wikis are more up-to-date with more comprehensive information.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comic books and age limits

Greetings, I have not posted anything in forever and for that I am very, very sorry. I just haven't had much to talk about.. but since this came up and it's bothering me, here we go. Comic books (particularly superhero comics) and age ranges/limits - Recently a fellow librarian asked for help on suggestions for tween comics. I named a few more recent ones that are for a kid/tween/teen demographic and then explained that most older comics would also be appropriate for this age group. At this age, I was reading New Teen Titans and Uncanny X-men for instance without any issues. I specifically stated that comics, particularly superhero comics, have largely been "all ages" for most of their history. This angered the librarian who I made the recommendations too. This librarian told me they specifically wanted TWEEN books because it was helpful for parents, tweens, and librarians and they needed to be TWEEN. Also that older books were too dated and the color and art wasn...

Wonder Woman movie recommendations

As you all know (or should know.. if you don't you will now), the Wonder Woman movie is hitting theaters June 2nd (or maybe June 1st depending on where you live). Either way, it's coming soon. DC has also officially announced that June 3rd is Wonder Woman day! Participating comic book stores will be giving out free Wonder Woman comics and cardboard tiaras and bracelets. The Wonder Woman merchandise and advertisements are all blitzing big now and while it may be difficult to get some new items right now in time for Wonder Woman, here are some Wonder Woman comics and books about Wonder Woman I recommend. Legend of Wonder Woman Etta Candy tries to find the perfect outfit for Wonder Woman Legends of Wonder Woman  by Renae de Liz and Ray Dillon. This is a perfect all ages origin book for Wonder Woman. Starts off with her as a child on Themyscira and follows her all the way through her becoming Wonder Woman in World War II. It's a really beautifully drawn book and the story...

How Superhero comics teach information literacy Part 2

So we've talked about how superhero comes walk you through the process of recognizing citations and citing your sources and how the Easter eggs and references cause the reader to do research, now we're going to talk about a subject everyone knows and confronts regularly in research.. bias. Comics, like most storytelling mediums, have a built in way to show bias. Some of this is from the obvious storytelling tricks of showing different perspectives. Comics like  Marvels  or Astro City  do this rather well, taking the reader out of the typical head space of the superhero and into the world around them, those who look up and see the superheroes in their world and how that impacts them. These, however, are more subtle ways that the comics confront, show, and reveal the concept of bias to readers. The most obvious tools that comics have are characters that are implicitly and strongly biased. For instance, Marvel has the infamous J. Jonah Jameson, who has a one man war agai...