Skip to main content

Banned Books Week and CBLDF

I initially had planned to make recommendations on Banned Books Week and as I usual, I started to do some research and I found out that A) I hadn't read all that many banned books, which is bizarre to me since I don't ever filter for content in my life which is why I wasn't aware of the banned books

B) there is not that many superhero books that have been banned or challenged and that's what I mostly read.

C) The books that are typically banned or challenged are pretty common library books. Sandman, Persepopolis, Y the Last Man, Maus, and Bones just to name a few.

D) and this is the most important one of all, Comic book Legal Defense Fund(CBLDF), already has a pretty extensive list and they're better experts about censorship than I am. This is literally all they do is fight censorship and legal issues revolving around comics. So, they'd be the people to look at when it comes to Banned Books more so than me. I read comics and I'm a huge fan. I'm an advocate for comics and comics in libraries obviously, but I don't worry about censorship of comics and I certainly have never dealt with a challenge of a comic (or any book, working in a college system it's less common than a public or school library setting). So yeah.. check them out. Here are their resources for 2017.

Meanwhile.. circle back to last weeks blog and remember that EVERY comic book was challenged at one point. The entire medium was under assault and barely survived only through massive self-censorship that "saved" the industry in the short term, but nearly destroyed it in the long term especially as Marvel and DC (dubbed the "Big 2" because well they're the two biggest comic publishers) were slow to change and adapt to the changes in society and ditch the code. It's also why comics got a stigma as being "kids stuff" for a long time because it was and HAD to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comic books and age limits

Greetings, I have not posted anything in forever and for that I am very, very sorry. I just haven't had much to talk about.. but since this came up and it's bothering me, here we go. Comic books (particularly superhero comics) and age ranges/limits - Recently a fellow librarian asked for help on suggestions for tween comics. I named a few more recent ones that are for a kid/tween/teen demographic and then explained that most older comics would also be appropriate for this age group. At this age, I was reading New Teen Titans and Uncanny X-men for instance without any issues. I specifically stated that comics, particularly superhero comics, have largely been "all ages" for most of their history. This angered the librarian who I made the recommendations too. This librarian told me they specifically wanted TWEEN books because it was helpful for parents, tweens, and librarians and they needed to be TWEEN. Also that older books were too dated and the color and art wasn...

Wonder Woman movie recommendations

As you all know (or should know.. if you don't you will now), the Wonder Woman movie is hitting theaters June 2nd (or maybe June 1st depending on where you live). Either way, it's coming soon. DC has also officially announced that June 3rd is Wonder Woman day! Participating comic book stores will be giving out free Wonder Woman comics and cardboard tiaras and bracelets. The Wonder Woman merchandise and advertisements are all blitzing big now and while it may be difficult to get some new items right now in time for Wonder Woman, here are some Wonder Woman comics and books about Wonder Woman I recommend. Legend of Wonder Woman Etta Candy tries to find the perfect outfit for Wonder Woman Legends of Wonder Woman  by Renae de Liz and Ray Dillon. This is a perfect all ages origin book for Wonder Woman. Starts off with her as a child on Themyscira and follows her all the way through her becoming Wonder Woman in World War II. It's a really beautifully drawn book and the story...

How Superhero comics teach information literacy Part 2

So we've talked about how superhero comes walk you through the process of recognizing citations and citing your sources and how the Easter eggs and references cause the reader to do research, now we're going to talk about a subject everyone knows and confronts regularly in research.. bias. Comics, like most storytelling mediums, have a built in way to show bias. Some of this is from the obvious storytelling tricks of showing different perspectives. Comics like  Marvels  or Astro City  do this rather well, taking the reader out of the typical head space of the superhero and into the world around them, those who look up and see the superheroes in their world and how that impacts them. These, however, are more subtle ways that the comics confront, show, and reveal the concept of bias to readers. The most obvious tools that comics have are characters that are implicitly and strongly biased. For instance, Marvel has the infamous J. Jonah Jameson, who has a one man war agai...