Skip to main content

Iceman Reviews 5-6 (sorta)

So I finally read Iceman 5 and 6.. and I rolled my eyes a bunch and was just generally annoyed with everything in both issues. The whole series thus far has been a train wreck and I finally figured out why I was hating it so much..

The Iceman comic is a canned with dialogue seemingly swiped word for word from various sources coming out book. Iceman as a superhero, his history, and everything else is just window dressing and to cover up that this is just a really stereotypical coming out book. It has all the tried and true staples that play out exactly as you'd expect.

For those of you that haven't read a coming out novel, here is how they go: Guy struggles with and comes out to friend(s), guy comes out to family or society and is  initially rejected by one or both and eventually someone who rejected him (either family member or a member of the society) will magically love and respect him for no real reason, and guy meets perfect boyfriend who will be the perfect absolute amazing guy that will love him forever. This is Iceman. And it's just dull. I read a ton of these books when I was studying Young Adult literature and they're just so bad. They're bad not just because they're often not well written (as Iceman is not.. with tons of cliches and canned dialogue), but because they create this fantasy drama of coming out that eventually everything turns out OK. And that's not how it always works out and you certainly won't always meet the perfect romance right after coming out (in fact, most people don't because they don't really know who they are yet). It also sets the expectation that you come out once and then you're done.. and that's not how it works at all. But really the biggest issue ultimately with these books? They're dull and predictable and after you've read one, you've pretty much read them all. That's not to say that some writers have done some different and interesting things with them (there are a few), but most of them... they're pretty standard drama fare.. and Iceman does nothing new or different, adds nothing to the dialogue even with the fact that Bobby Drake is a 30 something mutant when all this is happening. It's just.. meh.

So.. ultimately this is a typical coming out story so it's probably great for an LGBTQ kid who wants to come out or in a situation where coming out is bad. It may give them strength and courage and deal with some of their issues and that's great.. but it may also give them completely unrealistic views of how things work too and that may not be helpful. I can't really recommend this book, but I hope it does something for someone, but it's clearly not written for me or well most comic book and X-Men fans. It's written for a really small audience..

If you want better LGBTQ comics, there is a whole list of recommendations for Pride Month broken down by various LGBTQ groups as different people in the mix may want different things. Check those out. But for gay teen, I'd have wished I had Midnighter and Backstagers when I was that age..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transformers More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise

I know I've recommended these books before, but I've been re-reading Robots in Disguise  (which becomes just Transformers  later) and reading for the first time most of More than Meets the Eye  (which becomes Transformers: Lost Light) and I have to say.. wow. These books are just so beautifully done. I've talked before about the right and wrong ways to do politics in a book. These books? They get it right. How do they do it? Well here's the thing.. both of these books take place after the war between the Autobots and Decepticons is finally over. It's done. Time to move on and build a new world. In Robots in Disguise , we follow the adventures of all the Transformers, Autobots, Decepticons and Non-Aligned Indigenous Life Forms (or NAILs) all trying to make a new life on Cybertron. There is animosity between all 3 groups Autobots and Decepticons obviously still hate each other from the 4 million year war and NAILs feel like the war destroyed their planet and th

How Superhero Comics Teach Information Literacy Part 1

OK. I had this idea and submitted it to be published in a book about comics and information literacy and the rejected it. Sad face. I know I could type this out and send it to be officially published and maybe one day I'll take the ideas here and reuse them for an article, but.. that's a long process and I think this is too important to lock up for long periods of time and potentially a paywall. So I'm going to do a series of posts about how superhero comics inherently teach information literacy and how you as a librarian can tap into that and use that to advocate for comics or even help people understand information literacy. No clue how many posts there will be if I'm honest.. but here's the first. Early example of a Marvel Citation If you've ever read a lot of Marvel/DC Superhero comics especially from the 60's, 70's and 80's, you will have noticed these little boxes with editors notes in them. These small notes often told readers when

Pride Month Recommendations Part 1 Gay/bisexual male

I feel like I'm running behind on a lot of stuff right now, so there will probably be a few posts this week to make up for it. Sorry about that,. So June is typically considered Pride Month in the US, though local areas may have their own pride at different times. I'm going to start doing a series of posts on LGBTQIA comics that I recommend, but I'm going to do this a little differently. My idea is to break it down into parts, the first focusing on gay and bi men, then lesbians and bi women, then trans*, queer, intersex and asexual, then  finally circle back and focus on books that do a bit of all of them well (namely team books). I want to do it this way for a couple of reasons. First, while LGBTQIA is a community for various reasons, each individual group has it's own wants/needs/desires, so a book with a lesbian lead may not speak to an asexual teen as well as another book. The second reasons is to highlight some of the areas where comics as a medium are lacking ov