Skip to main content

Some helpful general comic information sites

Sometime soon I'll be doing Halloween/Horror recommendations, I promise.. but I'd recently promised to do some helpful sites that might be useful so.. here we go.

Comic Book Database - I mentioned this before, but the Comic Book Database allows you to search for character, creator, comic name, series name, title of comic, and a whole host of other things to find more information. It can be sparse at times or it can have information overload. This is great though if you're looking for every appearance of a character, if a comic is reprinted and where it's reprinted, follow a creator's full works, and a bunch of other stuff.

Grand Comics Database - pretty similar to the one above, but a different interface and they sometimes disagree on things. Both give you a great look at over all comics and can give you tons of information. For personal use, I tend to gravitate towards the Comic Book Database, but that's just my personal choice. Both are great and have a wealth of information, it just really depends on which you like better.

ComicVine - ComicVine tries to do a little bit of what the above two do with a different interface. However, it focuses a little bit more on character/team histories of the comics as well has some news and reviews. If you want to know the history of a character or see if they've appeared in comics, ComcVine is a great option. They also have an extensive image gallery, but be careful with that as some pictures especially of female characters might push the boundaries of Safe for Work. The other thing is don't use ComicVine for research on characters powers/abilities as they have a site wide system that they force every character into, so sometimes it's not exactly accurate from being so generic.

Atomic Avenue and My Comic Shop - both of these are there to sell comics, but they have some pretty extensive cataloging on the back end that sometimes gives you really good/important information. Both typically list all comics available in a trade for instance and My Comic Shop has a synopsis on a lot of single issues including creative team. Super helpful at times. I often use both of these sites to find the last issue in a series or information like that since they're much quicker and easier to search than the databases for me (and they only search for series name, not also character name, so that helps). Really though, they have some nice tools that I know I use regularly.

Wikipedia - Also DC wikia  and Marvel Wikia there is also one for Public Domain superheroes (PDSH wikia)  These are pretty definitive guides on characters, powers, and creators in general. There is a lot of research information here. Wikipedia can also be a great resource about trades and what issues are in trade, what is currently available, and more. So don't be afraid to use them for this information. Now they may not have everything and they may be missing information on some lesser known characters (and I'm talking super obscure cause they have full wiki entries on Lady Stilt-Man, Prince Ra-Man, and Yellow Peri), but over all they're really good. These are one of the reasons I say don't waste money on the DK Publishing or Encyclopedia style books because.. these wikis are more up-to-date with more comprehensive information.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Superhero Comics Teach Information Literacy Part 1

OK. I had this idea and submitted it to be published in a book about comics and information literacy and the rejected it. Sad face. I know I could type this out and send it to be officially published and maybe one day I'll take the ideas here and reuse them for an article, but.. that's a long process and I think this is too important to lock up for long periods of time and potentially a paywall. So I'm going to do a series of posts about how superhero comics inherently teach information literacy and how you as a librarian can tap into that and use that to advocate for comics or even help people understand information literacy. No clue how many posts there will be if I'm honest.. but here's the first. Early example of a Marvel Citation If you've ever read a lot of Marvel/DC Superhero comics especially from the 60's, 70's and 80's, you will have noticed these little boxes with editors notes in them. These small notes often told readers when

Transformers More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise

I know I've recommended these books before, but I've been re-reading Robots in Disguise  (which becomes just Transformers  later) and reading for the first time most of More than Meets the Eye  (which becomes Transformers: Lost Light) and I have to say.. wow. These books are just so beautifully done. I've talked before about the right and wrong ways to do politics in a book. These books? They get it right. How do they do it? Well here's the thing.. both of these books take place after the war between the Autobots and Decepticons is finally over. It's done. Time to move on and build a new world. In Robots in Disguise , we follow the adventures of all the Transformers, Autobots, Decepticons and Non-Aligned Indigenous Life Forms (or NAILs) all trying to make a new life on Cybertron. There is animosity between all 3 groups Autobots and Decepticons obviously still hate each other from the 4 million year war and NAILs feel like the war destroyed their planet and th

Pride Month Recommendations Part 1 Gay/bisexual male

I feel like I'm running behind on a lot of stuff right now, so there will probably be a few posts this week to make up for it. Sorry about that,. So June is typically considered Pride Month in the US, though local areas may have their own pride at different times. I'm going to start doing a series of posts on LGBTQIA comics that I recommend, but I'm going to do this a little differently. My idea is to break it down into parts, the first focusing on gay and bi men, then lesbians and bi women, then trans*, queer, intersex and asexual, then  finally circle back and focus on books that do a bit of all of them well (namely team books). I want to do it this way for a couple of reasons. First, while LGBTQIA is a community for various reasons, each individual group has it's own wants/needs/desires, so a book with a lesbian lead may not speak to an asexual teen as well as another book. The second reasons is to highlight some of the areas where comics as a medium are lacking ov